Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Beauty Product Review: Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Hand Cream

You're probably all familiar by now with the cult product that is Palmer's Cocoa Butter Body Lotion. It's been the stalwart of many a skincare collection for years and I'm sure the brand needs no introduction.

I've used the lotion on and off for the past decade now, and it never fails to deliver or disappoint.

During this prolonged winter (seriously, when's it going to end? Are we ever going to see the sun again?) my hands have taken a real battering. Which has been exacerbated by my (possibly over zealous) use of hand sanitizer, and constant hand washing since getting my Tragus pierced nearly two weeks ago. Not that I didn't used to wash them before (honest Guv'nor), but - dictated by prudence and paranoia- I've really stepped the hand hygiene up a notch. No nasty infections for me, no siree.


No infections maybe, but at the price of hands that would put an antiquated desert dwelling lizard to shame. And that is never a good look. Believe me.

This affliction coincided (as the law of Sod would have it) with coming to the end of my precious L'Occitane Mango Flower Shea Butter Hand Cream sample. The hunt was on for a replacement. Preferably one that would work minor miracles.

It was on a recent trip to Boots (where else?), whilst perusing the hand cream section, that I spied the Palmer's Cocoa Butter Hand Cream. I've no idea how long this has been on the market but, for some inexplicable reason, I'd never noticed it before.





As I said, I knew the wonders that the body lotion worked and, it being on the cheaper end of the price scale, I snapped it up.

One dollop and it was love. It has exactly the same consistency as the lotion: unctuous (such a satisfying word, don't you think?) and reassuringly thick. No thin, watery gloop here. This is a cream that means business.

That famous Palmer's formula smell is there too.  I know there are those that find it overpowering but not me. I can't get enough of it. It's like you've just dipped your hands in a vat of melted chocolate (I wish). Delicious.

As I rubbed it in the condition of my hands improved before my very eyes. The scales were gone! The parched dry spots were gone! Cue the hallelujah chorus!



Red and dry beforehand (no pun... Oh, never mind).
Et voilà: dryness and redness be gone!



These pictures were taken this morning, and the before photograph really doesn't show the full extent of the problem I had. The cream has already been working its magic for a couple of days now, and my hands are only a little on the dry and red side still when I wake up, but, one application of this and they're good to go.

In all honesty there's no competition between this and the L'Occitane. At less than a quarter of the price, there's nothing I can fault with this product. Oh, and it works on elbows, knees and feet (who's singing that song to themselves now? Just me? Oh...) too. As if it wasn't impressive enough already. Now it's just showing off...


Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Hand Cream - £2.19 for 60g- available from Boots, Superdrug and all other leading pharmacies/drugstores.









No comments:

Post a Comment