Saturday, 1 December 2012

Internet History...

I'll let you into a little secret. This isn't my first blog. Nor is it my second, or even third. It's probably my sixth or seventh. 

I first started blogging in 2006, during a period of post university unemployment. It was pretty much just me rambling to myself about, well, nothing in particular. I then, for reasons unknown, decided that the blog wasn't cutting it anymore, deleted it and started up an entirely new one. Which, to be honest, was just an exercise in reinventing the wheel because the next one? Yup, carbon copy of the last. Just with prettier graphics.

This was swiftly followed by a purely beauty-centric blog and yet another one to show case my embryonic freelance writing attempts.

All, apart from the freelance blog, which is still out there in the ether, came to an unhappy end, deleted in fits of pique and boredom.

Several more were set up on the spur of the moment, and abandoned just as quickly.

Thus the years 2006-2007 were to become known as 'The Blogging' years. But don't panic, It's Not All Me, Me, Me... won't be sharing the same fate as it's predecessors. 

It seems that every few years, since I discovered the internet (oh, didn't you know, it was me who created the ole' WWW? Yeah, Tim Berners-Lee just stole all the credit. Sod), I go through a different cyber cycle (for cycle, read: obsession). Thus, my internet history (like what I did there?) would look a little something like this:

1998 - Get internet at home. Revolutionary! I can still hear the sweet sweet music of our 56kbit dial up.

1999-2001 - The 'Angelfire Website Years'. I must have created millions of the things. Ah, those halcyon days of animated gifs and 'guestbooks'. Oh, and this was when I got my first email: angelelectra@hotmail.com. It was the early 00s alright? Don't judge me. 

2001-2002 - The 'MSN Messenger Years'. I used to be up all night on the thing. Bloody annoying when it would log you off continuously when you're trying to have a deep and meaningful conversation with someone.

2002- 2004 - The 'Animated Video Years'. Weebl and Bob anyone? Or perhaps 'Only in Kenya' is more your bag?

2004-2006 -  The 'Handbag.com forum Years'. Remembered chiefly for my creation of the behemoth that was 'The Unofficial Christopher Eccleston Appreciation Thread'. Sadly, Handbag has had something of a makeover of late and their forums have been deleted. From memory it was one of the longest threads in the forum's history. I'm not sure whether to be proud or ashamed of this fact. Probably ashamed.

2006-2007 - The 'Blogging Years'. 

2007 - 2010 - The 'Facebook Years'. To say I was a little bit addicted to Mr. Zuckerburg's handiwork, would be an understatement. I practically lived on there. My predilection for Facebook was a running joke with all who knew me. 

2010-2012 - 'The Browsing Years'. After the love affair between Facebook and myself ended in acrimony, and due to only having internet access via a dongle (I know, talk about regressing!), I extricated myself from the 'web for a couple of years and chose instead to spectate.

2012 -  Now? I'm back blogging again,  and have embraced Twitter and Pinterest with vigour. Who knows what the next cycle will bring, although I have a sneaking suspicion it will involve a lot of Tweeting!

That's me, then. What would your internet footprint look like? Has your time online gone in cycles?
Do you still yearn for simpler days when pictures took about a day to load and there was a choice of roughly five websites, all of them decidedly dubious? Or, are you happy the digital era has well and truly arrived and you can Tweet and blog to your hearts' content?










2 comments:

  1. Haha Jen - You do make me laugh!

    I reckon I went...
    - Forums ...when talking to strangers wasn't considered dangerous..
    - Neopets & Kidscom.com - Amaze-balls!
    - Bebo ..(my friend eventually reminded me ;))
    - Facebook
    - Blogging
    - and very recently...Twitter

    Cringeworthy-internet-addict when I look back...eej

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I'd forgotten about Bebo. I'd joined that too, and MySpace but wasn't quite as addicted to MySpace as I became with Facebook.

    Neopets? Ohh, I think I remember them vaguely!

    Ha, I think I cringe the most at my Angelfire websites. There's still some floating around!

    x

    ReplyDelete